I saw this feature became available in 2.7.0rc1 and wanted to try it
out.  I entered 'allow_duplicate_certs = true' on both my master and
agent systems in the puppet.conf (not sure if its need in both, saw it
in genconf for puppetd and puppetmasterd though ...).  I also have
autosign.conf configured to allow autosigning for our domain
(*.domain.com).  I had my agent register with the master for the first
time, works good (always has ;).  Now on my agent I removed the ssl
directory.  Do another test run, it generates new certs on the agent
system and tries to communicate with the master.  I then receive the
following error on the agent:

info: /User[puppet]: Provider useradd does not support features
manages_aix_lam; not managing attribute ia_load_module
info: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl]: Scheduling refresh of (completed_/etc/
puppet/ssl)
notice: /Whit[completed_/etc/puppet/ssl]: Triggered 'refresh' from 1
events
info: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/private]: Scheduling refresh of
(completed_/etc/puppet/ssl/private)
notice: /Whit[completed_/etc/puppet/ssl/private]: Triggered 'refresh'
from 1 events
info: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/certs]: Scheduling refresh of (completed_/
etc/puppet/ssl/certs)
info: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/certificate_requests]: Scheduling refresh
of (completed_/etc/puppet/ssl/certificate_requests)
notice: /Whit[completed_/etc/puppet/ssl/certificate_requests]:
Triggered 'refresh' from 1 events
info: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/private_keys]: Scheduling refresh of
(completed_/etc/puppet/ssl/private_keys)
notice: /Whit[completed_/etc/puppet/ssl/private_keys]: Triggered
'refresh' from 1 events
info: /File[/etc/puppet/ssl/public_keys]: Scheduling refresh of
(completed_/etc/puppet/ssl/public_keys)
notice: /Whit[completed_/etc/puppet/ssl/public_keys]: Triggered
'refresh' from 1 events
notice: /Whit[completed_/etc/puppet/ssl/certs]: Triggered 'refresh'
from 1 events
info: Creating a new SSL key for XXX
warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session
info: Caching certificate for ca
warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session
info: Caching certificate for XXX
err: Could not request certificate: Retrieved certificate does not
match private key; please remove certificate from server and
regenerate it with the current key
Exiting; failed to retrieve certificate and waitforcert is disabled

I guess I was expecting for this to work fine when
'allow_duplicate_certs = true'.  Maybe I misconfigured something?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how allow_duplicate_certs behaves?

Thanks!
Jake