I have been through all of the instructions for setting up a
PuppetMaster using Passenger.  At the present time, when I access
Passenger I receive the Passenger Error page with the message "The
application has exited during startup (i.e. during the evaluation of
config/environment.rb)".  I've looked at the log files and there is
nothing obvious.

When I run puppetmaster everything is working with a 2nd node.  Then
when I switch over to Passenger, I get the error.

Below is the stacktrace that appears in the error page.  Is it normal
that Puppet is trying to "daemonize" the process when running in
Apache?

The application is failing at the following code which is to put
Puppet into daemonized mode which doesn't make any sense to me running
in Passenger.  Could I be missing some configuration setting?

  # Put the daemon into the background.
  def daemonize
    if pid = fork
      Process.detach(pid)
      exit(0)
    end

0       /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/daemon.rb    19      in
`exit'
1       /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/daemon.rb    19      in
`daemonize'
2       /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/application/
master.rb        105     in `main'
3       /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/application/
master.rb        46      in `run_command'
4       /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/application.rb
287     in `run'
5       /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/application.rb
393     in `exit_on_fail'
6       /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/application.rb
287     in `run'
7       config.ru       21
8       /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.2.2/lib/rack/
builder.rb      46      in `instance_eval'
9       /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.2.2/lib/rack/
builder.rb      46      in `initialize'
10      config.ru       1       in `new'
11      config.ru       1

The log files show that Puppet is starting up but that is about it.

Here is some of my configuration information:

config.ru
------------
# a config.ru, for use with every rack-compatible webserver.
# SSL needs to be handled outside this, though.

# if puppet is not in your RUBYLIB:
# $:.unshift('/opt/puppet/lib')

$0 = "master"

# if you want debugging:
# ARGV << "--debug"
ARGV << "--debug"

#ARGV << "--rack"
require 'puppet/application/master'
# we're usually running inside a Rack::Builder.new {} block,
# therefore we need to call run *here*.
run Puppet::Application[:master].run

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

daemon_controller (0.2.6)
fastthread (1.0.7)
passenger (3.0.7) but have tried downgrading to 2.2.15
rack (1.2.2)
rake (0.8.7)

Running Puppet 2.6.7 but have tried downgrading to 2.6.4