----- Original Message -----

> Let me not be taken as an extlookup() zealot.  I do like the design
> as it is, but that doesn't mean it is ideal -- or even good -- for every
> purpose.  One of the advantages of Puppet, however, is that it is
> fairly easy to modify and extend.  If you would like an alternative
> lookup facility then by all means, write one.  If you are community-
> minded then you could consider sharing it; the Puppet Forge (http://
> forge.puppetlabs.com/) makes it easy to do that.
>
> You may also be interested in some of the extlookup() author's
> comments about it (http://www.devco.net/archives/2009/08/31/
> complex_data_and_puppet.php).  He hangs out here, so you may also
> hear from him directly.

So extlookup wasnt written as a be-all and end-all of data sources.

I recognized we want data and code separation and of course I could write
an ENC but I also recognized that I could do something generic that would
solve a large % of cases for people to push out the point at which they
need an ENC a bit later or in many cases entirely.  I hoped I could solve
it in a way that adds some value like make it easier to write configurable
modules and to do so in a way that people without programming backgrounds
can grasp and use and make their manifests a bit better.

With this in mind I wrote extlookup aiming to solve the most common problems.

I am not against ENCs I think big/complex shops absolutely must have them and I
think a lot of the extlookup bashers missed this point - if you are big
enough or complex enough where extlookup doesnt work for you then you've
probably reached a legitimate point where investing time in writing an
ENC is time well spent.  And you're also not any more the the target audience
extlookup was created for.

You should though just look at extlookups code, its extremely simple and easy
to understand (especially since Jesse rewrote my ancient crappy code) and this
should let you hack up solutions that solves your problems.

Puppet is a framework, its very hackable, its easy to write functions and types,
easy to copy them out to all your servers and make it work in new and
interesting
ways.  So I totally encourage you to use extlookup as a example and solve the
problem in your own way or even to evaluate writing your own ENC.