What I do is set the password on one host, and then copy the hash out of
/etc/shadow into the Puppet definition to be set on the other hosts.

By default the Puppet providers expect that the password field will be
hashed as used on the system, not plaintext.

--
Nathan Clemons
http://www.livemocha.com