We've looked at two different possibilities thus far:

1) Make all resource types hash-aware.  This is what I was originally asking
for.  It would mean changing the way resources are declared so that in the
case of a hash their representation of $name was appropriate for use with
defines and virtuals.  This could either be done by requiring the hash to
have a 'name' key and using that or by creating a metaparameter like
hash_key so it could be user-specified.  The hash itself would need to be
passed to the resource in the same way as $name but with a different
identifier so that its keys could be accessed inside the resource as e.g.
$data[key].

The upside of this is that it should work universally and conceptually match
the rest of Puppet, the downsides I see so far are that its implementation
might well be intrusive and it might also add to the DSL.

2) Create a hash -> resource transformation function.  If I understood John
correctly this is what he was in favor of.

The upside of this is it should be less intrusive, easier to implement, and
require no DSL changes.  The downside is that it still makes hashes special
and requires separate handling of them.