My PATH is set with the /opt/ruby/bin pointer in the front.  When I
run /usr/bin/env on *any* of the many RHEL5 systems I have, it just
hangs.   Some of these I didn't set up, some are just stock RHEL
installs.  So I don't know whether this is a configuration problem or
not.

By install script, I meant one that actually installs mcollective.
Regardless of /usr/bin/env I think this makes some sense for people
that want to do a manual install vs. RPM.   As for the PATH issue with
ruby, I suppose that's everyone's personal choice.  I could use
'alternatives' to create links in standard locations to help  mitigate
PATH issues, of course.

Thanks.