On 07/04/2011 02:49 PM, Michael Halligan wrote:
Forgive my cluelessness, but why is it so difficult for Puppet to at least tell me what file this came from

OK, I'll take a crack at an answer.

---------------

typical compiler versus parser problem.

If the parser saw this, it could stop immediately
and say , hey, look here!  This ain't right!

        File[ "$foo" ]]]]

But, the parser sees this, which is perfectly OK.

        File[ "$foo" ]

Much later, after all the files are read and the
details of syntax forgotten, it is finally evaluated
by the compiler as something not OK.

        File[ ]

But, where is the error?  Is it that $foo was not set?
Or was $foo dependent on something else, far removed,
that failed to be set or evaluated?

What should the compiler say about this?

        $foo = inline_template( ... )
        $baz = inline_template( ... )
        File[ "$foo$baz" ]

--