FYI - for performance I would upgrade Puppet (there were performance
improvements in newer revisions), and use something like
Apache/Passenger as a delivery mechanism.

One question - does this happen each time you run it on the same box?
If there is no new changes - is the performance still terrible or is
it only for systems where there is a new change?

I'm just pondering also - did you introduce a new large file? I'm just
wondering if this time is spent doing an md5 sum of a huge file for
file {} comparison. You see the file provider will do an md5
comparison to make sure a a file that already exists doesn't get
installed again. If the file is large - then it takes a long time.
Does this slowness happen even when it appears no changes need to be
made? If you think a file is a culprit you can emulate the md5
behaviour by running 'time md5sum bigassfile.iso' to see if it takes a
long time.

Otherwise its the delivery of such a large file ... which might be the
case, and you definitely should switch out your stack.

I see you have 211 resources or so ... so its not the quantity of
files here that is the problem I would guess.

> There are around 100+ servers in my environment.but at most puppet
> master serving to 10-12 nodes (varies) concurrently.

Webrick at best can manage 1 node concurrently properly. So the minute
you fire up more then 1 it will slow down as it tries to serve each
client when available. Switch to Apache/Mongrel :-).

ken.