Take a look at example42's mysql module. I use it to change the root
password and create users for each of my applications. Look at this
specifically:
https://github.com/example42/puppet-modules/blob/master/mysql/manifests/grant.pp

There is also a "query" define so you can run any query that is possible
from the mysql client.

-Andrew