Zach <zachary.g.armstr...@gmail.com> wrote:

You guys got me on the right track... Turns out I was running into
this:

"One of THE MOST DIFFICULT concepts to understand for puppet newbies
is that these two things are identical:

include foo
class { 'foo': }"

In my case, I was declaring things like:
class { "nagios::webserver":            stage => post }
at the very top of the site.pp

Is there a better way to declare what stage a class belongs to within
the class declaration itself?

Right now, I am doing something like this:

node webserver01...12 inherits default {
        class { "nagios::webserver":            stage => post }
        include apache::apache_security
        include apache::php_security
        include apache::apache_conf_webserver
}

It's pretty ugly to have to keep declaring the stage in every node
group (I have webservers, app servers, etc)

On Jul 12, 9:21 am, jcbollinger <john.bollin...@stjude.org> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 10:52 am, Zach <zachary.g.armstr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > I'm noticing that all classes I have created are being applied to
> > every node, even ones that don't specifically "include" them.  There
> > is no inheritance occurring that would allow this to happen.  I've
> > been reading docs and couldn't find anything about this...  Am I
> > missing something obvious?   Let me know if you need more info
>
> The problem is far more likely to be in your manifests than to be in
> Puppet, but without seeing the manifests we can only speculate.  My
> best guess is that you have top-level "include" statements in one or
> more of your manifests, perhaps where you meant "import" instead.  It
> may also be that some of your classes are including others, with the
> result that all classes get pulled in even though some are not
> explicitly included at node level.
>
> John

You should be able to set the default stage just like any other parameter.
Jesse and I fixed that a while back. Forget which version it's fixed in though.