Does puppet have/support the use case where I only want to include
certain classes if the puppet daemon is running, and another set if
classes if puppet is run manually with the runonce option?

I think a good example would be:
* I want to include nagios and nrpe when run via the daemon
* I want to include mysql (to manage the mysql service, package,
users, grants, etc.) when when manually with the runonce option

The idea is I may have some set of applications that "can" be updated
at anytime, but there will other applications that are under strict
change control.

-Andrew