On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Rich Rauenzahn <rraue...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are using puppet to export nagios resources (now we're using file
> resources to represent them) and the number of resources is probably
> in the thousands -- our puppet runs take 6GB (on the client side) and
> then just sort of spin forever (it's been running for a couple of
> hours now -- and no, we're not paging.)
>
> We're using puppet 2.6.4 and ruby 1.8.6 -- upgrading is on our
> roadmap, but we need to fight a few other fires first.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?  Or how to mitigate this?
>  I wonder if something isn't scaling -- like maybe the number of edges
> in the puppet DAG is increasing exponentially....

I would absolutely test 2.7.x as fast as you can. It should be a drop in
replacement for both master and agent, and may end up being your fastest
mitigation path.

Even 2.6.9 if you can try it, there have been a few changes since 2.6.4.

I tend to find that a visual scan of a dot file from a --graph run is a good
way to look for explosions in complexity.

--
Nigel Kersten
Product Manager, Puppet Labs

*Join us for **PuppetConf *<http://www.bit.ly/puppetconfsig>
September 22nd and 23rd in Portland, Oregon, USA.
*
*