Yup.  This is totally the right way to do that.

If you don't want to, I would suggest that you compile once, tar up
the content, and just untar it on the machine.

If you really, really want to go through installing the compiler,
building, then removing it, you can: write your script to use apt to
install the packages, build, and then uninstall again.  Maybe specify
'package { "gcc": ensure => absent }' so that puppet enforces.

...but, um, this really doesn't add that much security to your system.
 Sending a binary, or a portable language tool, is not that hard for
an attacker.

daniel

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 09:17, vagn scott <vagnsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/01/2011 06:40 AM, David wrote:
>>
>> The scenario is, every server in our estate of Debian machines
>> requires some monitoring software which is not provided as a Debian
>> package.
>>

> You should make your own debian package(s) for the monitoring software
> instead of installing from source on every machine.

⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons