So... a general question.

When sourcing node variables, what is the better approach...

a) In each module included by the node, use something like extlookup to get
the variables you need, as you need them, OR
b) Have your external node script gather and dump _all_ the variables the
the node may need for all functions it may peform.

Option b) seems less preferable to me personally. We have this God awful
perl script right now that templates all of our production values, and
option b) would essentially still involve having a complicated external node
script doing a lot of similar things. The whole point of puppet is to do
away with custom scripts doing application specific things. One advantage of
this approach is that it to see all the variables for a node, simply running
the external node script with the host name will yield all that information
quickly and easily.

Doug.