I've always thought that if you wanted, consistent, repeatable methodology for
install/remove/upgrade that the native packaging is always the way to go and
rpm-build does exactly that with tarballs.

I don't think Puppet is the way to drop tarballs && config && make && make
install because so many things will break along the way.

Craig

On Oct 18, 2011, at 1:56 PM, Dan White wrote:

> RHEL 5, and the packages in question come as tar-balls that have to be
> unrolled into place and then compiled/configured.  Not your simple "yum
> install...", sad to say.
>
> ----- Russell Van Tassell <russel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It might be helpful to include the O/S you're asking about, possibly with
>> the package... sometimes it's a matter of just changing/adding a
>> respository. Sometimes it might be a little more involved.
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Dan White <y...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any exapmples out there that show an intelligent way to do this ?
>>>
>>> My searches are not turning up anything useful
>>>

> “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
> the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
> Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

Craig White ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ craig.wh...@ttiltd.com
1.800.869.6908 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.ttiassessments.com

Need help communicating between generations at work to achieve your desired
success? Let us help!