I would totally recommend Puppet Commander in place of that, if you
have the time to get it running:

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki/ToolPuppetcommander

It uses mcollective and is pretty much awesome.

Daniel

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 21:22, Brian Gallew <g...@gallew.org> wrote:
> Let me emphasize the beauty of running Puppet out of cron.  Not only do you
> not end up with resource leaks (or just simple consumption when you don't
> need it), but you also get much more reliable load on your puppet masters.
>  Further, if you are wiling to make a trivial effort to write a
> site-specific fqdn_rand() work-alike function, you can even arrange to be
> sure that updates roll across related servers in a reliable way.
>

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Jeffrey Watts <jeffrey.w.wa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I've found Puppet to be unreliable running as a daemon - I suspect due to
>> older versions of ruby floating around. So I switched to running it from
>> cron, and it works a lot better. Memory usage doesn't seem to be an issue,
>> and the agent only runs for a few seconds.  Use Puppet Dasboard (or
>> something like it) and/or use Nagios to make sure those cron jobs run.   I
>> use both.
>>
>> The main thing is to have Puppet managing itself and the cron job. I have
>> ours set up to run the cron job twice an hour, using the concatenated IP
>> address modulo 30 and modulo 30 + 30 as the times (to keep the clients from
>> hammering the Puppetmaster all at once).  Let me know if you go with Puppet
>> and I'll show you how I did it.
>>
>> Part of the reason we chose Puppet was the quantity of documentation and
>> working examples and the helpfulness of the community. I support (and
>> implement) our Puppet environment here at my job. I would highly recommend
>> Mr Turnbull's Pro Puppet book. It is VERY sysadmin focused and will save you
>> a lot of time.  The sections on environments, modules, and Dashboard were
>> really helpful.
>>
>> Jeffrey
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Dec 8, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Luke <lutay...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > This tool will be used by primarily system admins to automate server
>> > builds app installs, configurations etc. The devs will use it in their
>> > own environment to help automate some of their tasks. I don't think we
>> > have too much Ruby expertise since we are mostly a Java shop.
>> >
>> > In terms of performance I have read that CFengine uses much less
>> > memory and can be faster than puppet. Can anyone comment on the agent
>> > and server memory usage? I have read that the puppet agent can use
>> > 85mb and the server upwards to 1GB after 20-30agents. Is that
>> > accurate?
>> >
>> > I guess which tool would you consider to be the quickest, easy to
>> > implement etc? From what I am seeing the community here seems to be
>> > much more active than the others. I have yet to get a response on the
>> > other forums.

>> > --
>> >

>> --

⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons