Apache or any other http server is usually not the problem in a
Passenger based Puppet master because it's only peripherally involved
in the actual work. Here's roughly how a client receives a catalog.

Client runs, makes a connections to Apache on the Puppet master
Puppet master Apache receives, negotiates ssl, etc.
Client gets/posts or whatever it does these days.

Apache looks at request and Puppet vhost and says "This is Rack
request"
Apache hands the whole thing to mod_passenger
Passenger looks at request and says "Do I have a Rack processes
running?"
If it does and they aren't busy, it passes the request to one of the
Puppet Rack processes
If it does not or the current one is busy, it spawns a new Rack
process to take the request

Passenger will spawn Rack processes to the limit you've set or until
it runs out of RAM. On my Puppet master I'm running four Rack
processes at 200MB each, a 150MB one for the Dashboard, and Apache is
using 300MB. Because my server doesn't have much CPU I limit the total
number of Rack processes to six.

In any case what we should look at is the passenger.conf and any
Passenger settings in the Puppet master vhost.

Ramin