On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Ryan Stewart <zzant...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 28, 11:33 am, Nigel Kersten <ni...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Ryan Stewart <zzant...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > nm. I figured out what I was doing wrong.
> >
> > What was it Ryan? Is there something we could do to improve the docs
> here?
> >
> I believe the problem was that I was doing the extlookup() outside of
> any class, and I recently converted my puppet project to a module,
> which I'm running with "puppet apply -e 'include ...'", which, I
> assume, would only run things inside of classes and not other stuff in
> the manifests where the classes are. Therefore the lookup was never
> being done in the first place, explaining the complete lack of any
> debugging information. I'm still trying to feel my way around how
> things should be organized, and this had to roll around in my head a
> while before I made the connection.

ahah. Yeah, I've actually been thinking about this usability problem
recently.

If you have DSL code outside a class within a .pp file, if you use puppet
apply /path/to/my.pp you only evaluate the code outside the class. If you
use puppet apply -e 'include myclass' you only evaluate the code inside the
class.

--
Nigel Kersten
Product Manager, Puppet Labs