I am working on setting up a Puppet configuration where some of the
data is stored on a DRBD volume. The modules and vardir are stored on
the drbd volume. The puppet.conf files point to the drbd volume for
vardir. I created a cert for a VIP puppet-master using the puppetca --
create command

I had everything working on the primary drbd node, but when I fail
over, everything starts up fine, but I get a passenger error about
certs from the client.

                <dt>Error message:</dt>
                <dd>Could not run: Retrieved certificate does not match private
key;
please remove certificate from server and regenerate it with the
current key

# SW Versions

puppet 2.6, with Passenger and Apache Http
CentOS 5.6

# puppet.conf

[main]
    # The Puppet log directory.
    # The default value is '$vardir/log'.
    logdir = /var/log/puppet

    # Where Puppet PID files are kept.
    # The default value is '$vardir/run'.
    rundir = /var/run/puppet

    # Where SSL certificates are kept.
    # The default value is '$confdir/ssl'.
    ssldir = /drbd01/puppet/var/lib/puppet/ssl
    vardir = /drbd01/puppet/var/lib/puppet

    modulepath=/drbd01/puppet/modules

[agent]
    # The file in which puppetd stores a list of the classes
    # associated with the retrieved configuratiion.  Can be loaded in
    # the separate ``puppet`` executable using the ``--loadclasses``
    # option.
    # The default value is '$confdir/classes.txt'.
    classfile = $vardir/classes.txt

    # Where puppetd caches the local configuration.  An
    # extension indicating the cache format is added automatically.
    # The default value is '$confdir/localconfig'.
    localconfig = $vardir/localconfig

[master]
    ssl_client_header = SSL_CLIENT_S_DN
    ssl_client_verify_header = SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY

## /etc/http/conf.d/puppetmasterd.conf

PassengerHighPerformance on
PassengerMaxPoolSize 12
PassengerPoolIdleTime 1500
# PassengerMaxRequests 1000
PassengerStatThrottleRate 120
RackAutoDetect Off
RailsAutoDetect Off

Listen 8140
<VirtualHost *:8140>

    ServerName puppetmaster.foo.bar
    LoadModule passenger_module /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
passenger-2.2.11/ext/apache2/mod_passenger.so
    PassengerRoot /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-2.2.11
    PassengerRuby /usr/bin/ruby

    CustomLog "/var/log/httpd/puppet_access_log" common
    ErrorLog  "/var/log/httpd/puppet_error_log"

    SSLEngine on
    SSLCipherSuite SSLv2:-LOW:-EXPORT:RC4+RSA
    SSLCertificateFile      /drbd01/puppet/var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs/
puppetmaster.foo.bar.pem
    SSLCertificateKeyFile   /drbd01/puppet/var/lib/puppet/ssl/
private_keys/puppetmaster.foo.bar.pem
    SSLCertificateChainFile /drbd01/puppet/var/lib/puppet/ssl/ca/
ca_crt.pem
    SSLCACertificateFile    /drbd01/puppet/var/lib/puppet/ssl/ca/
ca_crt.pem
    # CRL checking should be enabled; if you have problems with Apache
complaining about the CRL, disable the nex
t line
#    SSLCARevocationFile     /var/lib/puppet/ssl/ca/ca_crl.pem
    SSLVerifyClient optional
    SSLVerifyDepth  1
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars

    # The following client headers allow the same configuration to
work with Pound.
    RequestHeader set X-SSL-Subject %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN}e
    RequestHeader set X-Client-DN %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN}e
    RequestHeader set X-Client-Verify %{SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY}e

    RackAutoDetect On
    DocumentRoot /drbd01/puppet/rack/puppetmasterd/public/
    <Directory /drbd01/puppet/rack/puppetmasterd/>
        Options None
        Options -Multiviews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny