On Feb 2, 2012, at 9:38 PM, sateesh wrote:

> Hi Cody,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> As Specified by you I understood this way. Please correct me if I am
> wrong.
>
> 1) I will be having a ready new VM with Ubuntu installed. So I dont
> need to execute the step "puppet node create --image ami-2342a94a --
> keypair jeff --type t1.micro" in the link
> https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-cloud-provisioner.
>
> 2) In the step ssh -i ~/.ssh/jeff.pem
> r...@ec2-107-20-18-142.compute-1.amazonaws.com, I can replace the
> amazon url with my local VM IP. (Ex: xx.xxx.xx.xxx).
>
> 3) The command "puppet node install --login root --keyfile ~/.ssh/
> jeff.pem ec2-107-20-18-142.compute-1.amazonaws.com" (replaced with my
> local IP) will install the puppet on the specified IP.
>
> 4) Command "ssh r...@ec2-107-20-18-142.compute-1.amazonaws.com puppet
> --version" will display the puppet version of the newly installed
> local IP. (Will the puppet is installed with the new version. And how
> can we specify the which version to install in this step.)
>
> The next step is now I need to install some modules that are located
> in the server on to newly created IP. I think in chef the server will
> copy on to the new VM in /tmp location and install the modules on that
> IP. After installing it will delete the copied module. So, is there
> any mechanism in Puppet.
>
> Also, in chef if we bootstrap any vm, that will be registered as agent
> to the server and logs what modules have been installed on that
> machine. There is a search functionality where we can get the list of
> IP's where a particular module has been installed (by writing a query
> in the recipe).

Unlink chef server Puppet doesn't "copy" sets of code to an agent machine.  It
compiles a directed acyclic graph we call the catalog and deliveries it via
HTTPS as JSON.  So where in chef you would register a "runlist" that copies
down cookbooks, in Puppet you "classify" the machine.  This is done manually
with a node definition or can be programmatically accomplish via an ENC like
Puppet Dashboard or Foreman.  If you set up the Dashboard you can classify the
new machine you just installed Puppet on using the classify action available in
the puppet node face.

To query what nodes have what classes you can reference your ENC or like more
and more people, they grab the data live via MCollective.

--
Cody Herriges
Professional Service Engineer - Puppet Labs