On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 23:56, Gonzalo Servat <gser...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Brian Gallew <g...@gallew.org> wrote:
>>
>> If you are like me, the problem is that the ruby for your platform sucks.
>>  The webstack ruby 1.8.7 for Solaris 10 has a nasty tendency to hang (for
>> the daemons) and core dump for individual runs.  Individual runs out of a
>> crontab are the most reliable way I've found to make it all work.
>
> This is ruby-1.8.7.299-7.el6_1.1 and I am running Puppet out of crontab, but
> it's still frequently hanging. Right about now it has hanged again on
> several nodes.
>
> Any ideas?

RedHat released some update kernels that reintroduced a bug from the
2.6.13 Linux kernel.  You can run any of the code in this gist to
check if your kernel suffers that: https://gist.github.com/441278

The C code is obviously a pretty good choice, as it excludes Ruby
entirely from the problem space, and will confirm if that is your root
cause.

(The bug is that select on a file in /proc hangs for a long time,
possibly forever, and Ruby will use select on a file if there are
enough handles open.  This happens in some daemon configurations.)

> - Gonzalo

Daniel Pittman
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons