Hi all, hoping someone may have encountered a problem similar to this
before:

On my customer's EC2 based infrastructure, we have implemented the
nodeless, truth driven module outlined by Jordan Sissel here
http://www.semicomplete.com/blog/geekery/puppet-nodeless-configuration.
It's quite an effective model, especially in the realm of EC2... we still
have a puppetmaster configuration, and have decided not to go with the
masterless option, since we'd like to implement a nagios module using the
storeconfigs approach and exported resources.

Problem is, we're seeing large latency during agent runs, which appears to
be down to the config retrieval step, so much so that we've needed to
increase timeouts to avoid our Apache/Mongrel puppetmasterd solution from
timing out the connection. I've done some basic profiling, using
--summarize and --evaltrace, which shows that the bottelneck *appears* to
be happening at the config retrieval level:

(This is on our monitoring server)

Time:
   Attachedstorage: 2.00
            Class: 0.00
    Collectd conf: 0.01
   Config retrieval: 85.91
             Cron: 0.00
             Exec: 34.11
             File: 35.56
       Filebucket: 0.00
            Group: 0.26
        Mailalias: 0.17
            Mount: 3.48
   Nagios command: 0.02
   Nagios contact: 0.00
   Nagios contactgroup: 0.00
      Nagios host: 0.02
   Nagios service: 0.12
   Nagios servicegroup: 0.00
          Package: 3.12
        Resources: 0.00
         Schedule: 0.01

This agent run has been done with storeconfigs enabled, but it appears that
the Nagios resources are being processed fairly quickly; when we disable
storeconfigs, the config retrieval can be reduced to almost half as long,
which would suggest db latency. We've got the puppetmaster running on a
m1.small EC2 instance, which only seems to have a single core - I'm not
sure if that's perhaps the cause of the bottleneck?

Any suggestions / advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Andrew