Figured this one out finally.

Some background first:  The system in question is running the ISPManager
control panel is and is my shared hosting platform. I mention that because
apparently during the installation of ISPManager there are repos added to
the repo list by the ISPManager installer and here's where it gets
squirrelly.

One repo's definitions interfere with another's.   If I disabled the epel
repo I was able to install the nrpe package just fine.  With the epel repo
enabled I'd see nrpe listed as available but yum couldn't load it.  The
actual package to load (which didn't show in the available list before) is
nagios-nrpe-server.

wierd.. works now though..

--
Peter L. Berghold
Owner, Shark River Technical Solutions LLC