On 02/04/12 11:07, bruce bushby wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been writing a little module to handle some grub settings on RHEL
> 6 and appear the have run into a silly little problem that I just
> can't fix.
>
> I've trying to append the string "crashkernel=128M@16M" to the kernel
> line in my grub.conf. The following module works 100% if I leave out
> the "@" symbol. Any ideas how I can escape the "@" ??
>
> I know I can use "crashkernel=auto" .... but I would like to know how
> to insert any string I choose....even an "@".

The code snippet below also has a typo as it's missing the "=", so I
think the combination of these two missing characters meant it worked
for you.  Anyway, I think that's a red herring for the real problem.

>         define insert ( $value ) {
>                 $key = $name
>                 $context = "/files/boot/grub/grub.conf"
>                 augeas { "grub_conf/$key":
>                         context => "$context",
>                         changes => "insert '$value' after \'$key'",

This bit of code where $value is "crashkernel=128M@16M" isn't doing the
right thing.  Augeas represents this as a label "crashkernel" with a
value "128M@16M".  The "insert" command takes just the label name, not
the whole string.

This is how it should look in augtool:
augtool> print /files/boot/grub/menu.lst/title[1]/kernel
/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/title[1]/kernel = "/vmlinuz-3.2.10-1.fc16.x86_64"
[snip]
/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/title[1]/kernel/KEYTABLE = "uk"
/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/title[1]/kernel/quiet
/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/title[1]/kernel/crashkernel = "128M@16M"

When you use "insert", if it were possible, it would create:
/files/boot/grub/menu.lst/title[1]/kernel/crashkernel=128M@16M = (none)

So instead you need to use the set command to set both the label and
value.  Heading back to init.pp and using your existing define:

grub::set { "/files/boot/grub/grub.conf/title[1]/kernel/crashkernel":
  value => "128M@16M"
}

I've also changed "title" to "title[1]" in case you have multiple
kernels in grub.conf.  A better idea is to use the "setm" (set multiple)
command to set it on every kernel line, but you'll need Augeas 0.7.2,
ruby-augeas 0.4.0 and Puppet 2.7.0.

There's a good description here of how to use it, which you can wrap
into a define again:
http://planet.ergo-project.org/blog/jmeeuwen/2011/02/13/using-noop-io-scheduler-kvm-virtualization-through-puppet-and-augeas

Hope that helps.

--