In regard to: Re: [Puppet-dev] Re: [Puppet Users] Telly: Nagios types...:

Todd, welcome and I feel your pain.  Trust me, I pushed every way I
could to use native packages as our module deliver mechanism.  However
we have some odd requirements that make things not work as well with
RPM (or deb, or gems).  Basically we need a mechanism to allow
multiple versions installed into separate environments (paths on
disk).

You make a compelling argument for why this doesn't map well to native
packaging tools.  While it is possible to have multiple copies of an RPM
installed simultaneously, it would be a kludge in this case.

Something like pm2rpm and pm2deb is very likely something we'll need
to make the lives of Puppet Users happy.

Now that puppet has drug me into the ruby world, I've started down the
path of RPM packaging of gems.  gem2rpm helped me get started.  Having
something that works very similar to that would be a big help to those
that are experienced with ruby & gems.

Whatever you choose, though, there needs to be a way for admins to query
a client and find out

        - what puppet modules are installed
                - where each instance of the module is installed
                - what "version" is present in each instance

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu