I've done this sort of thing (upgrading puppetmasters in my case) by having one
class (thing::mainclass) manage all the resources of the new one and depend on
another class (otherthing:removeclass) which restored/defaulted/removed
everything that shouldn't be there.

You might need to be more careful when reconfiguring ldap, though. When done in
the wrong order I've had my lab host block and need a reboot.