I was getting timeouts before as well.  Usually had to do with apache
MaxClients being reached (running apache/passenger setup) so then increased
that if the system could handle some more load.  Other times it was from
too much load on our puppetmasters so needed to increase # of CPU and
adjust 'PassengerMaxPoolSize' in the apache config.  Finally, we also ran
into 'open file' limits issues with the number of connections/sockets which
would cause issues with passenger, so I had to bump that up as well (from
1024 default to 2048).

We have ~4500 systems running every 30 minutes.  We use 4 systems with 16
cores each to support this.  The systems run with a load of around 30%
right now, so really all we need is probably 2 of these systems ... but we
want redundancy.

So we have ~9000/hr with this setup.  To give you an idea of run/hr and
horsepower.

Regards,
Jake