Hi Nan,

Thanks for the reply. I did start thinking about how I could use the merge function to achieve what I wanted. I was messing around with something like this (which obviously doesn't work because of the inheritance order):

-----------------------
$hash = { 'msg' => { message => 'woof' } }

class base($more_hash = undef) {
  if ($more_hash) {
    $real_hash = merge($more_hash, $hash)
  } else {
    $real_hash = $hash
  }
  create_resources('notify', $real_hash)
}

class over inherits base {
  $more_hash = { 'msg' => { message => 'meow' } }
}

class { 'base': }
class { 'over': }

This question relates to my other post about a sysctl class. In my case I'd like the create_resources call to always reside within class 'base' as that would be a standard declaration on all nodes - and that's my real problem. Class 'base' can't be in a standard list of declarations if it's ever going to take a parameter and be configurable. I have yet to find the perfect balance of common things to manage and configurability ;-)

-Luke