> http://scalr.net/
>
> I think they did away with the free version of it recently. But if you
> ask me what they're asking is well worth it! Autoscales up and down
> based on server load. Works with both AWS and rackspace cloud.
>
> -tim
>
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 9:28 PM, de <dustye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a specific need to use Puppet to Autoscale a few applications I
> have
> > deployed on EC2. I'm using Puppet now to manage and create instances and
> saw
> > a neat video on this subject. I'm missing the a piece of the puzzle. I'm
> > assuming I should use CloudWatch to send my puppetmaster a notification
> > then create a new instance with the cloudformation module.

To create autoscaling webfarms I use Scalr too. As Tim reported is a
powerful cloud orchestration tool, available as an online service or as an
opensource software (PHP/Python/JS) that you can install on your servers.
I must confirm that there is no more free trial for the service and the
pricing is based on the number of hosts you manage.

 > Does that sound about right? I looked into cloudformation, but that
doesn't

>  > seem right.

I haven't tried it but I suppose that Cloudformation has some orchestration
feature too: I think you can define an AutoScalingGroup  and have
CloudFormation starts a new host based on a predefined AMI when loadaverage
of the hosts in the group reach some predefined level; you can choose a
different metric if you prefer, like a webpage response time. Then I
suppose you have to update your ELB configuration and probably something
else ... All these tasks can be configured with a tool like Scalr through a
web interface and this simplifies your life, but it's something to pay for,
while cloudformation is a free feature on AWS, for what I remember.

Hope this helps,
L.