On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Marc Zampetti <marc.zampe...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Is Puppet Labs saying they are ending support of MySQL and instead will
> only support PostgreSQL? That is going to be a big problems for shops that
> do not support PostgresSQL, or are only allowed to run DB systems on an
> approved list.

What is on your approved list? Oracle? SQL Server? DB2? That kind of
information helps us plan things for the future.

> Why wouldn't a DB-agnostic model be used?

The short answer is performance. To effectively implement things we've got
on our roadmap, we need things that (current) MySQL doesn't support: array
types are critical for efficiently supporting things like parameter values,
recursive query support is critical for fast graph traversal operations,
things like INTERSECT are handy for query generation, and we rely on fast
joins (MySQL's nested loop joins don't always cut it). It's much easier for
us to support databases with these features than those that don't. For
fairly divergent database targets, it becomes really hard to get the
performance we want while simultaneously keeping our codebase manageable.

> Right now, I can say that due to these types of issues, I cannot even
> evaluate PuppetDB, and will not be able to for the foreseeable future.

How many hosts do you have? Would the built-in, embedded database work for
you as an interim solution?

> Also, does this mean that the existing inventory service and store configs
> functionality goes away?

The existing inventory service API is still supported, and in fact PuppetDB
works as a backing store for that API. So tools and code that use that API
currently will continue to work. Puppet 3.0 still includes the old
ActiveRecord-based storeconfigs backend, which still works.

deepak