On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Brian Gupta <brian.gu...@brandorr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Gary Larizza <g...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Denmat <tu2bg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You should checkout puppetdb which currently locks you into PostgreSQL.
>>>
>>> Docs here:
>>> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/#puppetdbpuppetdb09
>>>
>>> It's new so may be buggy - though I haven't seen any reports on this
>>> (haven't looked ;) )
>>
>> PuppetDB will store Inventory Data as well as exported resources and
>> catalog data (from Puppet itself), but it will not store reports from
>> the Puppet Dashboard.  To do that, the Puppet Dashboard requires a
>> MySQL database backend.  It doesn't CURRENTLY support Postgres, though
>> I suspect that will change in the future.
>
> Gary,
>
> Assuming we are just talking about report stores, Akaroot is looking
> at storing 60,000 reports per hour. Can a single storeconfigs MySQL
> instance handle that? (That's 1000 reports per minute.)

Just to correct the terminology - storeconfigs refers to the act of
storing resources that have been exported from nodes, as well as
storing your inventory data (Facter facts).  There's documentation
here that should help -->
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/inventory_service.html  With
storeconfigs, it's information that can be pulled from within a Puppet
run.

Reports, on the other hand, contain information on transactional
events FROM a Puppet run.  Reports are stored in the Puppet Dashboard,
which is a separate database (Storeconfigs uses one database -
potentially PuppetDB, Dashboard uses another database.  Storeconfigs
can be MySQL or Postgres but the database backend for the Dashboard
must be MySQL).

As for handling 1000 reports per minute, it's up to how you tune your
MySQL setup.  Puppet is going to send reports to your database
'server' (credentials are provided in puppet.conf, so it could be a
VIP based on what you're doing on the backend).  I'll let others with
better experience in that area comment on what they've seen in
production.