On Friday, June 22, 2012 6:02:33 PM UTC-5, Peter wrote:

> I believe by extending the hiera-puppet plugin for module developers to
> follow a similar convention as hiera for module users would make certain
> things easier for module developers.
>
> By providing the ability to signal the hiera-puppet plugin (using a
> module-hiera.yaml file (for lack of a better name)) a module developer
> could reduce complexity and use the DRY principle to setup sane defaults
> (either in a defaults.pp or in a defaults.yaml file) and than use layer on
> top specific settings for Operating systems or even Hardware Types (as
> examples).

What I'm getting is that the central idea you propose is to give Hiera's
Puppet plugin the ability to collect data not only from different
namespaces, as it does now, but also from different classes in each
namespace.  I also get the impression that you are reserving use of the
YAML backend to module users.

I'm not prepared to discount your proposal, but I do think you are
artificially limiting yourself if as a module developer you refuse to use
the YAML backend.  If you want more flexibility *today* then that's where
you should look.

John