I have a problem on 3 out of ~40 servers that gives the following error:

err: Could not request certificate: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0
state=unknown state: sslv3 alert handshake failure

>From previous posts, I made sure that SSLVerifyClient is set to optional.
 I also cleared /var/lib/puppet/ssl/ client side, not that it should make
any difference as this error is on the first run of Puppet.

When I try to run Puppet from either of these 3 servers, there is nothing
noted in /var/log/apache2/* server side.  I have confirmed networking is ok
with telnet and also checked that there is traffic with tcpdump.

Puppet server is at 2.7.11 and client is also at 2.7.11 both from Ubuntu
repositories.

Any help would be appreciated to find why these 3 particular servers is
giving me problems.