quite new with puppet myself so take this for what it's worth;

if you didn't configure puppet so that it points to the correct server, it
will by default look for the machine named `puppet`. presumably, if you're
not modifying DNS, you'll need to reconfigure your agent to connect to the
correct master (itself). you can do this either in puppet.conf, or by
passing the --server option to puppet agent. your error suggests it can't
find the server, so it would seem strange to me that setting certname fixed
it.

another option besides using the master as a agent to itself, would be to
version your master configuration in git, and set up a post-receive hook to
re-apply the master configuration.