>From what I can tell there is no need to use alternate names.  You can
make the F5 appear to the clients to be the puppetmaster by leveraging
the F5 to do SSL offloading and part of the certificate verification
taking some load off your puppet masters.  Even more though, since the
puppet environments and other calls use pretty consistently organized
URI paths, you can do some really neat stuff with F5 HTTP Class
profiles to delegate certain requests to certain servers.

For example we have one server that acts as a CA, all signing requests
go there.  Then for normal puppetmaster tasks requests are assigned to
a pool of several servers.  Further as part of our development setup
we have separate environments for our main puppet module developers
but these only exist on one puppetmaster so we use the F5 to pick out
those requests and direct them to the correct server.

In general its a lot like configuring a reverse proxy (Apache, Nginx,
etc) in front of puppet.

Our setup is quite extensive but I didn't do most of it so I don't
want to lead anyone astray with an incomplete explanation.  Let me see
if I can get some of the details together and make a new wiki page on
projects.puppetlabs.com or perhaps expand on the existing page.
(linked below)

Here's a starting point.
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Load_Balancing_F5

Some examples for reverse proxy w/ Apache
http://www.puppetmanaged.org/documentation/Reference_Guide-Appendices-Example_SSL_Frontend_Reverse_Proxy_Load_Balancer_Configuration.html
http://www.masterzen.fr/2010/03/21/more-puppet-offloading/

-Alan