Hello Pete,

Do you have a reliable way to reproduce the port issue that you mentioned?
 We'd like to troubleshoot it further but haven't found any way to
reproduce it on our end yet.

If you're not getting log output in /var/log/puppetdb, can you please try
the following?:

1. Edit the file /etc/puppetdb/conf.d/config.ini, and comment out the
logging-config line.
2. Run this command:

java -jar /usr/share/puppetdb/puppetdb.jar services -c /etc/puppetdb/conf.d

This should allow you to see the output on the console as puppetdb is
trying to start up.  If you can copy and paste that output for us, it may
be helpful.

Thanks!
Chris