On Sep 11, 2012, at 10:08 AM, Joe Topjian wrote:

> if /etc/resolv.conf is a puppet maintained file, even if resolvconf package
> is updated, it will be replaced by the puppet asserted file anyway.
>
> Very true, but I would hate to have two services fighting with each other in
> that way.
----
well, I upgraded a 10.04 test server to 12.04 and noticed the messaging about
the dynamic nature of /etc/resolv.conf in the Ubuntu server list but it hasn't
been a problem at all so I have left it alone (with puppet fully managing
/etc/resolv.conf). There's been no contention so I gather that if
/etc/resolv.conf isn't a symlink, it isn't mucked with by the Ubuntu/Debian
packaging.

I am however starting to gear up for testing puppet 3, on a test server and
ruby 1.93 clients with puppet 3 and even though the current estimate is another
year of 10.04 for new deploys, I have an eye on this issue but so far, it's not
been a problem.

Craig