On Friday, September 28, 2012 12:05:03 AM UTC-5, Stefan Schulte wrote:

> But it general determining the desired state (that's what puppet tries
> to enforce) by looking at the current state (is the package installed?)
> may not be the best design here. So why not finding out when the package
> needs to be installed (e.g. because application X needs mysql) and then
> enforce that rule by puppet?

I agree.  Where it can do so, it is usually better for Puppet to command
than to inquire.

A situation such as the OP's, where Puppet has the power to command but you
don't want to use it, often signals disorganized or conflicting
administration of the affected system.  That is, if the person writing the
Puppet manifests knows whether the package is supposed to be installed,
then it is better all-around to just manage it.  If he does *not* know,
then that's either because someone else is responsible (and doesn't / won't
share -- an administration conflict), or because the information is just
not recorded (i.e. disorganized administration).

In fairness, both situations are fairly common, and the second, especially,
is a hallmark of sites that do not (yet) use an automated configuration
management system.

John