I'm not at PuppetConf, unfortunately.  In this case, all I did was a simple
CentOS "service puppetmaster restart" as I have in the past.

But, I wonder if the fact there are older versions still present might
contribute to this -- though it shouldn't be reading code from those
locations.

I down-rev'd back to 2.7 and it's working fine.  This just seemed like an
installation bug to me.