Hi Keiran,

I wrote this and posted it to the list awhile ago:

https://github.com/wolfspyre/vmware_puppetfact

there's been some suggestion that the source I used as a basis for this fact is
slightly inaccurate, however I don't have a suite of esx servers to test on..
(it's on my list)

feel free to inform me of changes that are required, and I'll happily make them.

On Oct 31, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Keiran Sweet <kei...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> I'm looking for a way to identify (if possible) the ESX/vSphere version that
> a particular VMWare guest server is running on without the use of vmware
> tools related commands, such as vmware-checkvm, which does seem to do the
> trick from what I can gather.
>
> [root@server ~]# vmware-checkvm -h
> VM's hw version is 4
> VMware software version 6 (good)
> [root@server ~]#
>
> The reason behind this is that we have brought online a new site that uses
> ESX5, and I'd like new VM's to be able to self classify what ESX specific
> packages and services to install and manage without any admin intervention,
> ie, Do I install the ESX4 tools, or the ESX5 ones.
>
> I have had a bit of a poke around to see if this is possible, but have so far
> come up empty handed, and feel it may not be possible in a way that I can
> roll it into a custom fact, so i may have to go down the route of pushing
> some new values into our ENC that define the version of ESX in use at each
> particular site, which isnt perfect, but will also do the job.
>
> Has anyone ever had to deal with this chicken/egg situation ?
> And if so, did you find a solution ?
>
> Thanks in advance,

This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message.
See http://www.datapipe.com/legal/email_disclaimer/ for further information on
confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you
cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send
the contents to you.