On Monday, November 5, 2012 3:03:57 PM UTC-6, Thomas Biddle wrote:

> I just switched from an in-house APT module to the Puppetlabs one thinking
> that it may solve this, but after looking at the code (And installing to
> confirm) it did not.
>
> Seeing Puppet be notified of a "change" just when `apt-get update` is run
> is a bit annoying to me. I was wondering if there was a way to avoid
> notifying Puppet of a change when an Exec command is run? (Or if there's
> another way we can run this)

It *is* a change.  The system goes from a state of 'apt-get update' not
having been run (in some given time frame) to a state in which it has been
run.  That's the way it works for Execs.

In general, what you can do is use one or more of the Exec's 'unless',
'onlyif', or 'creates' properties to define whether the Exec needs to run
at all, and / or you can set "refreshonly => true" so that it has to
receive an event from some other resource before it will run.  You can also
set a schedule on it to reduce the frequency at which it is applied.  You
will have to judge for yourself whether any of those alternatives is
applicable to your particular situation.

John