Puppet 3.0.1 from Puppetlabs' repos, installed on F17.

I've got puppet set to run automatically on startup after a minimal cobbler
install (using a slightly modified default.ks from cobbler). Puppet starts
on the subsequent reboot just fine, but its environment appears to be
unlike the environment I get when logging in interactively to start it.
 Post-reboot, the system log will show entries like these:

Nov 19 15:19:34 zw144 puppet-agent[933]: Starting Puppet client version
3.0.1
Nov 19 15:19:34 zw144 puppet-agent[933]: Reopening log files
Nov 19 15:19:40 zw144 puppet-agent[933]: Could not autoload
puppet/provider/package/rpm: No child processes
:
: Several No child processes will follow, and often several iterations of
this, but ultimately I'll see something like this:
:
Nov 19 15:49:48 zw144 puppet-agent[933]:
(/Stage[main]/Sudo/File[sudo-config]/ensure) defined content as
'{md5}<hash>'
Nov 19 15:49:48 zw144 puppet-agent[933]:
(/Stage[main]/Yum/File[/etc/yum.repos.d/puppetlabs.repo]/ensure) defined
content as '{md5}<hash>'
:
: Usually runs will have some "No child processes" errors and some
successes. Eventually, though, I get something like this:
:
Nov 20 04:21:48 zsw144 puppet-agent[933]:
(/Stage[main]/Freeipa-client/Exec[[postinstall]) Dependency
Package[freeipa-client] has failures: true
Nov 20 04:21:48 zsw144 puppet-agent[933]:
(/Stage[main]/Freeipa-client/Exec[[postinstall]) Skipping because of failed
dependencies
Nov 20 04:21:48 zsw144 puppet-agent[933]:
(/Stage[main]/Freeipa-client/Exec[[postinstall]) Could not find a suitable
provider for package
Nov 20 04:21:48 zsw144 puppet-agent[933]:
(/Stage[main]/Freeipa-client/Exec[[postinstall]) Finished catalog run in
1.22 seconds

What's odd is that when I log in as root and run "puppet agent -t" from an
interactive session, freeipa-client (or whatever package has issues) will
install, along with numerous others remaining in the catalog. Also, if I
terminate the agent that started with the system and manually start one
using "puppet agent", the manually-started one will almost always have
fewer issues than the system-started one.

So there appears to be some environmental difference between the puppet
agent running at startup and manually launching one. Any ideas? My goal is
to be able to install systems completely hands-off, from setting up the
cobbler and IPA servers to register them and letting puppet automatically
configure the system for me post-kickstart. But it's not working for me
very well just yet.

Bret