On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Mohit Chawla
<mohit.chawla.bin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using a custom provider that uses an external gem, for eg., json.
> I am seeing this behavior:
>
> 1) In the first puppet run - errors would be thrown like :
> "err: Could not load downloaded file
> /var/lib/puppet/lib/puppet/provider/custom_provider/json.rb: no such
> file to load -- json"
>  *However*, the catalog compiles and works eventually. Perhaps because
> I do have a puppet module which installs json lib before the module
> which uses the custom provider is
>   executed.

What version of Puppet are you running?

Yes, there is a dependency issue here.  Providers are loaded right
after they are synchronized using pluginsync, which happens before the
catalog is applied.  If the catalog is responsible for configuring the
json gem, then the provider will not have this dependency available
the first time it is loaded.  Custom providers should definitely be
able to reuse code from Rubygem libraries.

> 2) If however, there was some other error in the first run, say a
> syntax error somewhere, and then you try the puppet run, it simply
> doesn't retrieve the catalog with an error like:
> "Could not autoload sensu_client_config: Could not autoload
> /var/lib/puppet/lib/puppet/provider/custom_provider/json.rb: no such
> file to load -- json"
>
> If this is not a bug (not sure how much this is related to
> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/6907 ), then what is the
> suggested solution for handling gem dependencies in providers/types ?

That's the issue.  I have no idea why that's marked as closed, it
definitely hasn't been resolved in 3.0 for the scenario of providers
relying on gem libraries.  Perhaps we closed that issue because it was
more focused on system commands being available instead of gem
dependencies being available.  Could you please create a new ticket
[1] and mark it as related to both #6907 and #7316 and then ping me
with the new ticket number?  I'll bring this ticket to the attention
of the rest of the team.  The platform team is currently working on
code loading issues for Puppet 3.1 and this issue definitely falls
under this umbrella, so I'd like to collect as much impact data and
related information about what you're trying accomplish as possible.
A new ticket to collect this information is the best tool we have at
this time.

[1] http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/issues/new

Hope this helps,
-Jeff