Thanks for the reply, I did run into one problem with duplicate
declarations.  Say I wanted to include node1 and node2 in a group of
servers for a particular rule.  Then wanted to just have node1 in a second
rule.

eg:

node 'mynode' {
  include firewall

  $apps = ['node1', 'node2']
  $ssl    = 'node1'

  myfirewall::accept { $apps :
    proto => 'tcp',
    ports => ['80','8080']
  }

  myfirewall::accept { 'node1' :
   proto => 'tcp',
   ports => '443'

When I run that I get a duplicate declaration error such as
Myfirewall::Accept[node1].  How does one get around something like that?  I
can't think of a way to do that without assigning a unique name and then
iterating on a source variable that is passed in.

BTW - I am using the puppetlabs-firewall module and unfortunately it
doesn't work correctly with an array for the source variable, so that's why
I'm stuck here.