On Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:42:08 PM UTC-6, Pete wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I currently have a giant file with default variables I use in a lot of my
> modules and I override those at the node level if I need to.
> I thought I would give porting that data into a hiera setup.
>
> I worked out how to specify my data sources and started to make a go at
> moving some of my variables in the default data file.
>
> I thought heira would be smart and set a variable to undef if it couldn't
> find it but that doesn't seem to be the case. (unless I missed something in
> the rather sparse documentation)
> Is there a way of telling it to do this?
>
> I was also trying to work out how I automagically get my parametized
> classed to pull in vars from hiera. (The docs on that don't tell me much
> either.)
> Can anyone tall me how that works? Or do I have to use the hiera functions
> which isn't automagical in my book.

If you are using puppet 3, then if you do:

class foo ( $bar = bat ) { ... }

puppet will look in hiera for a key named foo::bar if no param is supplied.
If it does not find it, then it will use "bat" for the default.

> My current variables are set with a default value in my main file and then
> I override those at the node level if I need to (so kind of the same way
> hiera does it anyway)
>
> So given all of that I can't see any reason to switch to using heira
> because my current setup works as-is (my variable file is getting pretty
> huge anyway but that isn't going to change with heira if it won't set a var
> to undef).
>
> What are the benefits or using an external source for variables instead of
> sticking them in my node definitions (which seems like it would be faster
> because it doesn't have to use an external source)?

Separating code from data makes it easier to share / reuse your modules,
and can make it possible for "less trustworthy" people to be involved in
the editing / creation of nodes