I created a firewall module. In firewall/manifests/init.pp i have the
following.

class firewall {

  ## Always persist firewall rules
  exec { 'persist-firewall':
    command  => '/sbin/iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables',
    refreshonly => true,
  }

  ## These defaults ensure that the persistence command is executed after
  ## every change to the firewall, and that pre & post classes are run in
the
  ## right order to avoid potentially locking you out of your box during the
  ## first puppet run.
  Firewall {
    notify  => Exec['persist-firewall'],
    before  => Class['firewall::post'],
    require => Class['firewall::pre'],
  }
  Firewallchain {
    notify  => Exec['persist-firewall'],
  }

  ## Purge unmanaged firewall resources
  ##
  ## This will clear any existing rules, and make sure that only rules
  ## defined in puppet exist on the machine
  resources { 'firewall': purge => true }

  ## include the pre and post modules
  include firewall::pre
  include firewall::post