On Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:20:10 PM UTC-6, Alex Harvey wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:28:09 AM UTC+10, Matthaus Litteken wrote:
>>
>> The puppet 3 gem requires hiera, whose latest version requires json,
>> which can be either json (a c extension), or json_pure (a ruby
>> implementation). If it is the c extension, make and gcc are required
>> to build the c components. The mkmf error usually indicates that make
>> and/or gcc are unavailable.
>>

> I am also encountering this issue but using json_pure doesn't help -
>
> # gem install --local json_pure-1.7.5.gem hiera-1.1.1.gem puppet-3.0.1.gem
> Successfully installed json_pure-1.7.5
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::DependencyError)
>     Unable to resolve dependencies: hiera requires json (>= 0)
>
> Meanwhile, a requirement for there to be a C compiler on every host seems
> to be insane.

The requirement for a local C compiler is pretty much a function of the
choice to use gems in general.  In principle, any gem may contain a native
extension that needs to be built, so gem-dependent systems need to have the
requisite development tools.

I avoid 'gem' on principle, relying instead on hosts' native package
managers.  It is a bad idea to mix multiple package managers with
overlapping areas of responsibility, and on systems that have a system-wide
package manager, that precludes using any other.

John