You can pass the --detailed-exitcodes flag to puppet agent to get
non-zero exit codes. Here's the description from the puppet-agent man
page:

--detailed-exitcodes
Provide transaction information via exit codes. If this is enabled, an
exit code of '2' means there were changes, an exit code of '4' means
there were failures during the transaction, and an exit code of '6'
means there were both changes and failures.

HTH

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM, xin zhang <xing5...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running below command to connect puppet master
>
> puppet agent --certname testcertname --no-daemonize --onetime --server
> server_host_name --verbose
>
> it outputs error like:
>
> Error: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install dnsmasq' returned 1:
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os error was
> 14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org'"
>
> Error: /Stage[main]/Virtualrouter_agent/Package[dnsmasq]/ensure: change from
> absent to present failed: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install
> dnsmasq' returned 1: Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os error was
> 14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org'"
>
> to my surprise,  echo $? returns 0 which indicates a success.
>
> why doesn't puppet return 1? my script heavily depends on the return value
> to judge if puppet runs successfully.
> Is there any dependable way to get the real execution result of puppet
> agent?
>
> thank you.

Matthaus Owens
Release Manager, Puppet Labs