Dear Matt,

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:41:11 PM UTC, Matt wrote:

> I think you're trying to over complicate the situation here.
>
> Yes its a single point of failure but unfortunately that is not going
> to change anytime between now and maybe 6 months.

I am aware of that, and I am fine with that.

> You do not need multiple CAs to use multiple puppet masters. The
> client needs to have the setting ca_server set to the Puppet Master
> that is the CA. You need to configure that Puppet master with ca =
> true. The puppet masters you create need to be configured with ca =
> false. You can have 300 different puppet masters and each client can
> connect to the different ones as needed.

The thing is, the puppetmasters are exposed to puppet clients via
loadbalancer, so they actually appear as one puppetmaster, therefore, they
all need to have the same CA installed.

> If you need to limit which clients can connect to which puppet masters
> then you should look at the auth.conf file.
>
> As for a web interface around certificate signing, when each client
> connects into the CA it will submit its request and if autosign is
> turned off it should be setup to wait for certificate. The web
> interface can be a wrapper around the puppet cert face so you can get
> a list of certificates signed and whats waiting to be signed. You can
> even set it up to revoke or clean out a certificate. You do not need
> to call to the command line to do this either, you can interface with
> the puppet api from rubygems.

That, again, would require running puppetmaster per user, something I
really, really want to avoid.