Great! I'm more of a fan of RewriteRule because when you're mixing it
with rewrites the ordering is more obvious, but in this case ProxyPass
works well enough. Looks like you're using Debian, do you have to use
a2enmod perhaps to get RewriteRule to work?

Either way thanks for sharing the config that works for you.

ken.